Sunday, February 5, 2012

33 Days

Twas the month before departure, our trip to Haiti is approaching, I begin to think of all the ways I am preparing for this time set aside for us. I'm thinking about all of the the physical things I have to do in before I go like what to pack, etc, but I also realize that we as a team need to be preparing mentally and spiritually. I am being told by many people that this trip is going to come as major culture shock and is going to be an experience I will never forget. I am looking forward to putting myself in their shoes in seeing how Haitians live day to day life, not having the same mindset we were grown up to have. We know that when we are in Haiti, we will eventually be back in Canada, knowing we can have access to pretty much anything we want. Unfortunately, we know that isn't how it is there.


I had a visit with my grandparents about a week ago, and they were so interested in my trip. It was great to see! They brought me a National Geographic book that is full of amazing info on Haiti from 1961, that was really neat to see. They also brought a box full of medical supplies such as band-aids, gauze etc. As Mr.K once said something like, "going on a mission trip can really mess you up." It turns out helping us more than it does them in some ways.
I am ready to have an open mind and am very excited to see what God has in store for all of us!
The countdown is on.

Jill deBoer (:

No comments:

Post a Comment