Monday, February 13, 2012

The World


So as you might have known, I am going to Haiti with a bunch of other peers of the generous and adventurous nature. Which is insanely awesome because of countless reasons. I shall try to recite a few:

1.     Helping people! I like to help people, always have. Not just because I feel good after but because everyone feels good after. While we’re down there we’re going to be helping people with minor construction, painting, property repair, build a couple houses, basically change the world.

2. I couldn't go to Nicaragua … because God wanted me to go to Haiti! Every other year, my youth group does this really big mission trip to Nicaragua. It’s half the reason why people go to youth group. Maybe a third. Anyways, this year was the “big year” and I couldn’t go because I our youth group was too big and they decided to narrow it down to the grade elevens and twelves. I am in grade ten, but was offer a special position since I am six-teen and am supposed to be in grade tens. But I declined knowing that there would be a bit of a conflict with the other grade tens. The next week, literally, this Haiti idea comes up and I’m like, “Hey!”. So yeah.

3. Leaving the continent. Other than being born in Thailand, I have never been outside of Canada or the United States. I’ve been told that it’ll be culture shock and to be prepared to be hit by a bit of devastation, which is always an awkward thing to hear because you can’t agree or disagree because you don’t know. Just give them the smile and nod I guess. I know that this trip is definitely not a vacation and will not be doing anything for my pleasure. I’m excited for the labor and projects we’ll be doing there… can’t be that hard.

4. Chilling with awesome people. Our Haiti team consists of ten girls and three guys. All of whom, are incredibly awesome! Ever seen Ocean’s Thirteen? We’re like those guys, only not as awesome … we’re better. Not exactly the best comparison but whatever. We have a very good balance of intelligence, creativity, humor, and spirituality about our group. Then our leaders are pretty cool. We got this really chill guy name Mr. Dauphin whose ancestors come from Haiti. Then we have this sweet, eccentric and easy going girl chaperone called Liz who can sing really, really well. And then last but not least, we have our French teacher, Mr. Vanderveen. Real swell guy with a sense of humor and can obviously, speak French… on a grade nine level. Not exactly Creole, but it’s the best we got. Kidding Vanderveen, glad you’re with us.

5. Growing as a Christian. Famous Bible verse that I can remember is “Faith without deeds is dead”, which is very true for such an anonymous verse. I’m sorry, I don’t remember the verse, but it’s real! Google it. There’s also that verse at the top of this page, that’s a good one. Anyways, the point is, is that it is our Christ Following duties to be … well, Christ like. That means we should heal the sick, carry the weak and reach out to those who retreat. And by acting on such task we can further understand God, ourselves and others. When I leave to Haiti, I will really mean goodbye, because I’ll be coming back a different person.

These are just five of the hundreds of reason for why I’m excited to go to Haiti. I hope
you’re excited for us too and will share our story and mission to others. God has been in every moment to where we are now. I’m insanely psyched for this trip.

-Joel Robins

2 comments:

  1. JOEL I MISS YOU.
    ALSO, blog more. it's fun to read your stuff and you haven't written anything in eons. yes, eons. SO WRITE. AND HELP PEOPLE. cause you like doing that. (: COME BACK SAFE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey cousin! Wow, sounds like this trip to Haiti will be quite the life changing journey! Can't wait to hear all about it! :)

    Krista

    ReplyDelete